Title: Applications Engineer
Location: Danboro, PA
Job Type: Full Time
Relocation Allowance: No
This function requires a self motivated, innovative, and dedicated individual who wants to work with and solve our customers’ fastening problems. This position is responsible for processing quotations in a timely fashion via the Global Quote Management System (GQMS). This position will also be responsible for assisting with product and technical training for our Customers, Reps, and Distributors. He/she must conduct his/herself in a professional manner at all times and work to perform all job duties with minimal supervision. This individual is our major source of technical support who serves as the liaison between the customer and their engineering department and will develop and coordinate the strategic plans for new product concepts and all associated product testing. He/she is expected to make recommendations to improve products, processes and performance. This position may require the individual to specialize in a particular market segment such as Aerospace, Micro Products, Panel Fasteners, or Automotive.
• Independently utilize prior experience, Engineering principles, training and knowledge in the execution of duties with particular emphasis on mechanical problem solving.
• Manage long term date driven development projects designed to produce new fastener products.
• Maintain a high level of technical competency in all areas relating to designing special products that meet the needs of our customers. This may include metal forming and cutting, plastic molding and assembly. Computer literacy is required to utilize quoting, CAD, and Pro E system tools.
• Maintain a high level of awareness in Manufacturing, Quality, Sales and Marketing disciplines relating to new customer applications.
• Makes recommendations to direct supervisor to improve product design, product manufacturability, quoting process and productivity.
• The Sales Applications Engineer must be able to coordinate and work with the following:
A. Sales / Marketing personnel
B. Regional and Territory Managers
C. Global New Product Manager
D. Direct Customers
E. Reps and Distributors
F. Technical Support
G. Process/Manufacturing Engineering
H. New Product Development
J. Engineering Department
• Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following internal activities:
A. Special quotations
B. Product/Technical Presentations
C. Review designs with Engineering and Manufacturing for approval/suggestions
D. Pro E drawings
E. Coordinate application testing/specs with PennEngineering and the customer, rep or distributor.
F. Product design
• Performs his/her duties completely in a professional manner and with minimal supervision.
• The Sales Applications Engineer is responsible for coordinating and documenting all Engineering efforts with our focused accounts. This individual, in cooperation with the Sales / Marketing Department and the field sales force, will define the product design that will best meet the customers’ requirements. He/she will be the liaison between the customer’s Engineering Department and PEM® Sales / Marketing and Engineering Departments.
• The Sales Applications Engineer will be responsible for a) Technical sales training and coordination of technical information for the Sales / Marketing Department, b) He/she could possibly represent Sales while we are exhibiting at trade shows and c) Assist the Sales Department with technical information for telephone and e-mail customers.
• He/she shall have a thorough understanding of PennEngineering’s costing model in the current JDE system. This knowledge shall be utilized to provide our sales department with accurate cost estimates for the quotations of special fastener products. He/she will work with established procedures governing the quotation of special parts.
• The Sales Applications Engineer will also develop installation tooling for all new product designs which will meet the customer’s application criteria. The individual should be familiar with PEMSERTER capabilities as well as out-sourced custom installation system contractors.
• Direct test programs to improve existing product lines, solve customer problems or to aid in the development of special products.
• Acts as a resource to department management by recommending potential areas of improvement, including products, processes, productivity, and performance. Recommendations should be in a written format that identifies the area for improvement, recommended action and result (performance improvement, cost savings, productivity improvement).
• Must be able to clearly communicate (both written and verbal) with customers and technical representatives in person, through e-mail and over the telephone.
• Must be able to use testing/measurement tools.
• Visual acuity for detailed work.
• Must be able to work in an air-conditioned office environment or shop environment as necessary.
• Must be able to operate a PC/Workstation including a mouse and/or a keyboard.
• Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
• Entry-level to one year Engineering design experience. Individual must be able to work and coordinate Engineering activities within a Sales/Marketing environment.
• Potential to develop strong organizational and presentation skills.
• Proven project leadership ability and successful record of completing Sales / Marketing or Engineering assignments.
• Must possess a strong working knowledge of the various techniques and materials used in manufacturing mechanical fasteners.
• Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally by air.
PennEngineering offers a competitive salary based on experience, an air-conditioned work environment, over time hours, benefits package including health insurance, 401 (k), tuition reimbursement and the opportunity for growth.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and salary requirement. No relocation assistance is available for this position. EOE M/F.