CARBOWAX™ ( CW )
- Carbowax™ is a product of the Dow Chemical Company.
- CARBOWAX™ SENTRY™ PEGs are water soluble linear polymers formed by the addition reaction of ethylene oxide to an ethylene glycol equivalent.
- The CW finish is applied to product and after drying provides a thin layer of ethylene glycol which provides the part surface with needed lubricity for locking torque performance.
- There are no industry standards for defining this process.
ELECTRO-FILM ( EF )
Applicable Industry Spec: MIL-PRF-46010
- The parts shall be capable of passing an adhesion test, a resistance to fluids test, an endurance life test, and a load carrying capacity test as specified in MIL-PRF-46010.
- Typically, electofilm coating offered by PEM is .0002″ to .0004″ of M-6002, applied to all surfaces.
- Parts shall be plated, if required, prior to this operation. Stainless steel parts require an undercoat for proper adherence of this process.
- Typically applied over .0002 – .0004 Cadmium coat. Can be applied over tin or silver, but the Lubricity is not as good as with Cad.
MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE DRY FILM LUBRICANT ( MD )
- Dry film lubricant containing molybdenum disulfide and other lubricating ingredients does not contain graphite or other highly electrically conductive materials. It contains a solvent-based phenolic resin system to bind the ingredients to the fastener surface.
- The color is a uniform gray/black.
- The adhesion of this dry film lubricant meets the requirements of ASTM D-2510, Method B.
- The thermal stability meets the requirements of ASTM D-2511.
- It is able to resist 24 hours of salt spray per ASTM B-117 with no significant stains on steel with zinc phosphate under plate.
- It is able to resist 100 hours of salt spray per ASTM B-117 with no significant stains on stainless steel.
- Dry film lubricant containing molybdenum disulfide and other lubricating ingredients is resistant to the following fluids when tested per ASTM D-2510, Method C:
1, 1, 1 – Trichloroethane
JP-4 Jet Fuel, MIL-T-5624
Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid, MIL-H-83282
Silicone Damping Fluid, VV-D-1078 Skydrol 500 A
- The thread lubricating properties facilitate meeting the 15 cycle locking torque reusability requirements of NASM25027 when applied to all metal prevailing torque locknuts.
SOLID FILM LUBRICANT (used on M45938/7 and M45938/11 locknuts)
Applicable Industry Spec: SAE AS5272 Type i (Replacement for discontinued MIL-L46010 Type i)
- Heat cured dry film lubricant suitable for use at temperatures of -90 to 400F.
- The thread lubricating properties facilitate meeting the 15 cycle locking torque reusability requirements of MIL-DTL-25027 when applied to all metal prevailing torque locknuts.
- The color is a uniform gray/black
- This finish system provides salt spray resistance of a minimum of 100 hrs to red rust on significant surfaces when tested per ASTM B117.
- Does not contain graphite or ozone depleting substances
- The adhesion of this dry film lubricant meets the requirements of ASTM D-2510, Procedure A.
- Applied over .0002 – .0004 inch cadmium plating plus yellow chromate per SAE AMS-QQ-P-416, Class 3, Type II.
- Not RoHS compliant.